• Breaking News

    BreakingNews: BIAFRA ANNIVERSARY, 72 IPOB Members Killed In Cold Blood By Nigerian Military, Others Abducted Likely Not To Return


    More than fifty-two members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) were feared killed in Anambra, Rivers, Delta and Abia states, during the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the declaration of the Republic of Biafra.

    Some reports, however, said casualties are much higher. Some eyewitnesses told Oriental Times that 32 people were killed in Onitsha while another set of eyewitnesses insisted 20 people were killed.

    In the same breath, IPOB Media and Publicity officer, Mr. Emma Powerful insisted 40 members were killed yesterday, bringing the casualty figure to 72.

    Nnewi South Regional Administrator of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), Chief Anthony Nwodo and 14 others were arrested by the Joint Security Taskforce.
    He was said to have been arrested at Ezinifite, on his way to his town from Onitsha.

    Sources also said of the 32 people who died, two were killed at the Niger Bridge Head while moving into Onitsha from Asaba in Delta State and another two people were killed at Nkpor while the rest died at various locations in Onitsha.

    Powerful alleged the army went to St Edmond Church at Nkpor where members who came in the midnight of Sunday from far places had camped for the Monday programme.

    He said the soldiers shot some of them and injured many and insisted that over 40 persons were shot dead and many injured on Monday even before the commencement of the programme at Nkpor-Umuoji Road, venue of the programme. He added that the army opened fire on the pro-Biafran agitators who gathered in various places for the ceremony in remembrance of dead Biafrans.

    “Army/Navy men killed over 40 members of IPOB and MASSOB at Nkpor Uno, Eke Nkpor, New Parts, Building materials market, Ogbunike, St. Edmond Church Nkpor. “They killed about 25 of our members at Nkpor without any cause.

    They just opened fire on us as we were having a peaceful procession. They shot and killed them and took away their corpses. Many other people sustained bullet wounds and could not be treated because when we took them to hospitals they demanded police report before they will commence treatment, more people who sustained injuries will still die because there was no treatment to control the bleeding.”

    Our correspondent, who monitored the situation in Onitsha and Nkpor, reported that a combined team of army and naval officers, with four Hilux vans carried corpses to the military cantonment. They shot sporadically and made a U-turn at People’s Club busstop when they met a bonfire made of tyres and subsequently diverted to Onitsha Expressway.

    At Nkpor junction, some policemen and civil defence officers, who were stationed there, used teargas and live bullets to disperse people who gathered while pro-Biafran agitators set bonfires along the roads.

    But, a statement by Captain Jonah Unuakhalu, spokesman of the 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, said only two people died while “three persons, including a man performing rituals and incantations on the highway during the incident were injured.”

    IPOB members, who were decked in red and black attires, took to various streets in Asaba and its environs after their efforts to march towards the Head Bridge was thwarted by the army who shot them with live bullets.

    No comments

    Comment system